Before deciding to throw away those disposable earplugs for good and switch to personally moulded hearing protection, many of our clients ask us how the whole personally moulded earplug scenario works.
So that we can cleverly make your very own bespoke pair of earplugs, that fit comfortably and protect you from noise (whilst still being able to hear those important things like warning signals or your colleague’s speech), we have to take an ‘impression’ or mould of your ear shape.
A common question is “what does this process involve and what does it feel like when you take an impression or moulding of my ear?”
So here is the lowdown…. thanks to model Steve for this demo.
- Sit comfortably and relax.
- Our qualified practitioner (who has the same level of expertise as an audiology nurse performing the same process) will then take a quick look inside your ear using a device with a tiny light, just to check that everything looks OK.
- The practitioner then carefully inserts a small foam barrier into your ear very gently, you will hardly feel this and it has a string on it so it won’t get lost in there!
- The fun then begins. The practitioner gently fills your ear with a non-toxic soft silicone moulding material – Barbie would love the pink! This feels a bit like inserting your usual foam earplugs so you will then be unable to hear very well once the moulding material is in there.
- You wait around 3 minutes for the mould to set.
- Hey presto, we gently remove the moulding material and tiny foam plug and you’re all done.
- We send off the impression, and your personally moulded earplug set arrives within a couple of weeks!
The process takes no more than 5 minutes to complete from start to finish, not bad for a pair of earplugs that last five years.
Add up the cost savings here using our online calculator (instant results).